Friday, June 17, 2011

while you were gone

What do I do on a Friday night when my husband is out of town? Watch back-to-back episodes of Gilmore Girls (one of many chick-type DVDs on my Netflix queue since Mark has zero access to the account at present) from my blanket on my parents' couch. Classy, right? (How old am I?)

You know how guys always act like their life goes to ruin when their wives are out of town--like they almost burn down the house and practically starve because they don't know how to cook and their wives are against buying TV dinners? Well, that's me when Mark's away. Mark keeps me going. He is my motivation! I always laugh when Mark tells me that he was so surprised when he got married that he wasn't suddenly the most put-together man in the whole world--he still had to do the mundane things in life to get by. He just assumed that since his friends started getting good grades and practicing good hygiene once they got married that some sort of miracle occurs at marriage. Well, Mark, I said, that miracle does happen! And it did with us! It just is the other way around--I'M the one who had to get her act together and you were already the put-together one! You already knew how to set an alarm, finish a book, use a day planner. You didn't need a wife to teach you! But, I tell you, my life got so much more organized once I married Mark. Like, I figured out (from Mark) that if I put my keys in the same place every time I came home, I wouldn't lose them. Whoa! Break through!

So, when Mark is gone, I end up watching Gilmore Girls on a Friday night instead of doing something responsible like reading or corresponding with long-lost friends (I know you're out there) or updating my blog with all the cool things I'm doing. (I actually do have a list of cool things I'm doing right now so that I don't feel so lame. It's a pretty good list, though, I have to say.) I just watch a little GG until I'm too sleepy to think about Mark being away and I write down a "to do" list for the next day because it makes me feel closer to the man who motivates me.

1 comment:

jes said...

Hahahaha oh man, Jana...you crack me up! I don't believe that you aren't super put together, though. :) But, your post does remind me of Ammon. He loses all motivation when I'm gone. Last time I left him for 24 hours, I gave him a to-do list with 3 things on it (one of which was to pack his own bag). Guess what his ratio of to-dos vs. movies watched was? Yep 1:3. He's a completely different person when I'm gone. I, on the other hand, have never been completely by myself...mainly cuz I'm scared of the dark and know that I would have more problems than not getting a to-do list done. :) I'm so glad Mark will be home soon. I'm super impressed with how you're handling it...only a few more days! Love you!