Tuesday, January 27, 2009

words part I


sifting through pages of prose and sighing at pleasing passages, she said "i wish that i read more." cath said this to linds and me while we were browsing internship options on our laptops. she then committed us to re-read The Great Gatsby, which we both promised to do.

i'm sitting at my carrel right now. and i look up and see i have an entire shelf of books. my books. law books. i smile. i own books about law. i own books, period. is that awesome?

yet, like cath, when i look at these books - though i feel an honest, true feeling of gratitude for such an opportunity to even know the things contained therein - i feel like i am in the shallow end of a pool the size of the planet. there's a quote on this blog somewhere...scroll up or down maybe a little... it's on the right. it's about learning. it explains the sentiment.

2 comments:

Rachel B said...

i love that picture of your books. how clever of you!

Caleb Manscill said...

jana, books are phenom. i was just thinking about how i love my books too, one of my goals in life is to have a full, wall to wall library, in a sense like my parents. i'm grateful that i've been surrounded by books my whole life--and i think that books are quite telling about a person ...

oh, and i like how don't capitalize anything in your blog.