Friday, January 30, 2009

words part III

Passing ideas around with words. Words are inadequate, teacher. Paint me a picture. You may use Language. My writing teacher uses certain buzz words over and over and over again, but they have no meaning for me. It's like she is telling me about the ocean, but just keeps saying "ocean, ocean, ocean" and doesn't include "blue, big, beautiful." Let me see, feel, smell what a brief is like, and then maybe I can write it for you. Your words are sailing in and sailing out and my screen is still blank.

I need a Helen Keller moment where I can feel the water on my face and feel someone's hand making the connection between a communicated word and the sensation in my mouth.

3 comments:

lauren said...

isn't it interesting when words don't suffice? sometimes they can express so much and others, so little. i once felt that i could say anything with words, but so often these days i find that they cannot completely encompass the feeling i am trying to convey.

i miss your cute face.

Rachel B said...

Yes, decoding is difficult. This was expressed so well, Jana. You are such a good writer. I love your blog and you.

Bridget said...

Jana!
O Hisashiburi da yo ne!!! Hey, have just been wondering how my wonderful long lost friend has been....p.s. I found your blog on your facebook page. :) Anyway, you are inspiring! Law school eh? Congrats! How have you been?