Thursday, April 2, 2009

for the sake of the first time

Dear Readers,
I am one who is wary of sad, unrequited-love poetry. So, forgive me. But, I have to be honest with you all - I experienced something for the first time within the last little while that I couldn't help writing about: a broken heart. It's true. And people - it does hurt! I was taking everyone's word for it. And about the poetry, let's face it - I am in good company. The best and worst of poetry/prose is on this very topic and I am merely offering my meager contribution.

Sabishikatta kedo

i think i am almost over you.
colors that made me think of you
are setting in with the concrete.

i talked you out of us once.
twice.
the second time was to convince myself.
but you
you
you never protested.

some tried to comfort my loneliness,
saying they hoped someone would fill the void.
but loneliness didn't want 'someone,' it said.
it was lonely for you.
it even wanted to keep hurting
because it meant part of you was still around.

but, i think i am almost over you now.

"lonely for you" is sinking into "vague lonely" -
no longer attached to anyone in particular -
and it seeps in like concrete filling an anthill,
hardening inside each chamber,
till the researchers wash the sand away to see the tunnels inside.

7 comments:

Rachel B said...

Oh!!!! If there's a first time, usually it's not the last time...but this time is significant. I love you.

Anthony D said...

"but loneliness didn't want 'someone,' it said.
it was lonely for you."
Never have truer words been spoken. Some people take forever to get over, and it's pure torment not being with them. Considering how amazing you are, I imagine you've done the same to others...and thus is singles life. Remember the Lord wants what's best for you too.

Becki said...

jan-
that was beautiful and so are you. thanks for sharing. i love you

Skinny said...

that's not a half bad poem. not bad at all. plus, i like the new picture at the top of the blog.

lauren said...

wowsers my dear, not only are you brilliant enough to be in law school, you're an amazing poet as well. that was absolutely beautiful. oh yeah and i love you and hope you feel better soon.

. said...

i guess there is a first time for everything then, Jana. my first poem i offer to your blog. as meager as they come, but sincere nonetheless.

PERSISTENT MOON

my bed is warm, cozy
it's quiet there, surprises are few
and though few in number, they happen
'what is this?' i said tonight as i lay there
the impossibility, the audacity
squeezing beneath the projecting roof
shimmying through the tightest of angles
seeping past the closed blinds
up and over my shoulder covered by blanket
reaching to touch my face
light from the sun has found me once again
through it all, through the obscurity
a subtle disguise
the hope of that light,
wanting nothing more than a glance,
consideration,
one chance to make you smile
hope itself, a great disguise
veiled being who taunts with one word alone,
'maybe'
and then, the sun must unmask,
a system set forth so long ago
divine, but cruel
bringer of reality, ender of dreams
which forces us to say, 'goodbye moon,
goodbye stars,
goodbye.'
and so tonight,
i find myself jealous of the moon,
and it's one shining moment.

Alicia said...

I love your poem :)