Wednesday, October 21, 2009

couched between a privilege and a pet peeve



to break the ice since i've been gone for so long, i thought i'd talk about something somewhat taboo, somewhat uncomfortable, but nonetheless a reality and a pet peeve. those are always fun, right? hooray!

so, ladies, you know how there are couches in the girl's bathroom in the library and elsewhere on campus? and, guys, you no doubt harbor bitterness about this luxury that we women enjoy. (btw, sexist comment: i feel it is absolutely okay to discriminate against men in this way because men do not have babies - bear them, care for them (primarily) - nor do they experience all other girl things. and boys, you have so many other privileges about bathroom usage - like being able to go in bushes if you want - that i feel you have your needs met.) so couches are good and appropriate in the girl's room. but, let's talk about some misuse.

when you need to run into the ladies' room for a minute, and there is someone just "hangin' out" on the couches in the bathroom, it makes it a little awkward to go. i mean, they can HEAR you. i sometimes want to address the awkwardness with, "hey, don't mind me, i'm just gonna go into one of these stalls here and just take care of a little business. you don't mind do you? i mean, i'm not interrupting anything here, am i?" i mean, really. it is awkward. when you need to crash and take a little napster on campus and you don't want to look uncomely, sprawled on some uncomfortable bench on campus, i may think - sure, sleep in here. you're not aware of me anyway. but, just reading a book, playing on your laptop in the little lounge room. hm. okay, is that weird to anyone else? what would be the reason you are doing this? is there someone out there you are trying to avoid? do you not mind the sound of flushing toilets while you're on your cell phone with your friends?

well, whatever the reason, let us minimize the misuse of the couches given us, ladies. i know they're comfortable, but i don't know if it is worth the discomfort you cause everyone else. and i'd appreciate some sympathy. (and boys if you feel a need to vent, i completely understand and your comments are welcome.)

8 comments:

Bethany said...

Hello Jana-Ryan's wife Bethany here. Must comment on the BYU couches issue. As a mother who has breastfed a child on BYU's campus a number of times (I was in my program when I had Nate-he came to school with me ALL the time), it is SUPER annoying to have people just "hanging out" on those couches. In my (humble) opinion, they're meant for breastfeeding mommies, and for the occasional exhausted co-ed. NOT for "hanging out."

Lauren Kay said...

I hate it when people are having their lunch in there too. Not only does that seem unsanitary but it's just weird. You want to hear me pee while you chew? Gross. I always hated when people were in the bathroom hanging out. I always felt so awkward. Despite the couch issue, I hope all is well!

Rachel B said...

I almost had cardiac arrest when I clicked on your blog and it's revamped! I LOVE it! And I sat on that couch once. I wonder what the record is for how many breast feeding mommies have fit on it at once.

Becki said...

i love everything about this post and all the comments. it's so true. it's gross to hang out in there. i went in once to not go to the bathroom because i had to take a phone call. i'm pretty sure i didn't sit on the couches even then though...

. said...

so glad you're back Jana, hooray indeed!

Dallin Floyd Barker said...

you're right it IS awkward. but can you imagine a couch in the men's bathroom? i mean, we can hardly get it in the bowl sometimes! i wouldn't want to see the aftermath of a couch in the men's bathroom. let's just say it wouldn't be pretty... and who like sleeping in a bathroom anyway?

Peter said...

Lest anyone misunderstand, while anatomy may permit bush usage, decency and common courtesy often do not.

Brad Carmack said...

I'm behind you on this one.

It's funny to try and conceptualize this particular situation- I'll admit I'm struggling to quite picture it. I think my sister slept there overnight once in a while. How big are the couches?