Thursday, January 24, 2008

in memory

Two of of my dearest high school friends' birthdays are on Sunday. Chris Christensen, who battled muscular dystrophy until he passed away a year and a half ago. He was an artist and a hero. He had an angel's face and a heart of gold. His conversation was serene and un-intrusive. Ivan Anderson, who passed away suddenly almost exactly a year ago and who still seems like he can't possibly be gone. It went so fast. He was a computer-whiz and a musician. His hands were strong and his integrity never-failing. He loved the sound of laughter. They will both be 24 on Sunday.

I will always remember their goodness and their charity, their strong testimonies and their astounding resilience against hardship. I owe them a great deal. I wouldn't be where I am now without them. I can give you more details in person, but it is too personal to share here. I am so fortunate as to have tasted true grief only rarely in my few years on earth, but I shed a tear tonight for the absence and the memory of these friends.

Thinking of them reminds me of the kind of friend I want to be, and maybe should have been. More time to spend with a good friend and more appreciation expressed for their influence in your life. I await the time when I can embrace them both and where I can be that friend who never has to leave and has no other commitments, and can sit in the long grass and listen to their stories.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Jana, that is a beautiful image. I also want to be a friend who never has to leave and who has no other commitments.

AlliSMiles said...

i never heard about ivan. what happened?