Thursday, January 31, 2008

word-Y! jana, you're blog has no pictures

[original title was "i know this first sentence sounds cliche"]

the new title is comment said by my siblings. it's true and i feel i should apologize before pouring another bucket on the heap. I'm working on posting pictures and shorter entries. i need to appeal to my readership.

reading, more than anything, makes me want to write.

this sounds like a very simple formula, but i am always astonished by it. and let me clarify - it isn't while i'm reading that i feel i should write. it is how the reading has given me new lenses in which to look through that i see the world in the color, in the texture, in the word-choices of the current author in my texts and i can finally visualize what I see, but in their words.

i am inclined to write, partly to acknowledge what these writers have ignited in me and partly to see if i can do that cool stuff with words too, ha! that is why everyone should read - a lot. after all, you are what you read and i'm seeing that become realized in the way my thoughts are shadows of the words streamed into my mind by the most recent bits of a novel i've been reading from. i am sometimes just too lazy and therefore i keep my blinders on when i don't make time to read - only seeing the world in the limited spectrum of my own experience, a dull two-tone. but thanks to dr. cronin, who scared me into reading constantly, i have been able to get into quite a bad habit of reading - even and especially when i shouldn't be.

like, what are YOU supposed to be doing now? you are reading this blog post, but you've got a lot of other things to do, don't you. well, now you'll be looking at those tasks ahead of you through a glass pieced together by this blogspot (which hopefully doesn't hinder your ability to see in lyrical and rhetorical ways, but helps you recognize them - for i do see my great weakness in writing) combined with the article from the New York Times you read, the nutrition label you perused during breakfast this morning, the bus schedule you squinted to read, the billboard you whizzed by, your dose of scripture, and the cookbook recipe you attempted to memorize, not missing any nuance. You'll be seeing how the lightposts look amazingly like asparagus, or acknowledge the Mosiah during your lunch break, the fat content of the current political campaign, or the efficiency in the route and the many stops the garbage man took today. These words will now build the next few hours of your perception, until, that is, you encounter the next fated author's contribution in your path - a frozen dinner coupon, a Russian literature anthology, gmail, and the lyrics of your favorite U2 song... ahhh, the striking resemblance provo has to the city of blinding lights.

it's all the words you put it to; the lyrics to the great dance of life; your world is thus created.

is it not written, "In the beginning was the Word"?

No comments: