Friday, May 23, 2008

fahrenheit 451

i've deemed myself a failure of a conservationist. i've always believed you shouldn't waste anything if it can be helped. that is why i agreed to watch over rachel's pasta when she left because i believed it was the right thing to do. she was gonna just leave it, but i insisted that i would watch over it for her and, quote, "put it in a cute tupperware for you to have when you get back." after all, that's what friends are for.

i leaned on the counter and watched the bowtie pasta bubble up and thought about how the sound of boiling water was really quite lovely.

no sooner did i walk away from that fateful pan of pasta then i was immediately distracted by the idea to download this one counting crows song that i hadn't heard in years. this led to a saunter to my room and an attempt to work on my thesis. this was followed by my bed looking oh-so-welcoming for a midday nappy nap. which i took. until i heard a beeping.

following my efforts to turn off every burner in the house in an attempt to figure out what the heck was going on (remember, i had just been sleeping), i reached the knob that was on medium-high, still faithfully heating the remains of a beautiful bubbling bowtie...mess.

the following are a series of text messages concerning the event:

me to rachel
just so you know, our fire alarm works. i fell asleep and forgot about your pasta. yeah...
(
i wanted to break it to her gently. fewer details the better.)

rachel to me
[no response]
(
i didn't know she'd take it that hard.)

me to emma and rachel
nobody hate me please. the house smells a tad smoky...just don't come home for a couple of hours...
(
total understatement. try a couple of days! this text is accompanied by the thought: "i sure hope rachel wasn't that attached to that pan...")

emma to me
lol...what i totally hate you! lol well this is the first time it isn't me! yeah! lol
(
we can all see that emma likes exclamation points and "lol." and that is what earns her faithful blog readers - exclamation points and cute acronyms. i need to use more of those.)

me to emma
oh you have no idea. let's just say that our fire alarm works.

emma to me
lol! that's awesome! i have never done that before!
(
yeah, jana, i'm not THAT stupid.)

me to emma
just a classic Jana b. moment.

emma to me
lol! i wish i would have been there to see it! and take pictures!

me to emma
yeah, we definitely don't have enough pictures of me being a moron.

emma to me
me neither! ugg we r two of a kind my friend!

me to emma
yes indeed.

emma to me
hehehehehheee!

i'm just glad i'll be gone all next week. this apartment is going to smell pret-ty awesome for a while. so, if you have any referrals for me, i'm still single. (i know. shocking, right?) my homemaking skills have yet to meet their rival.

6 comments:

Peter said...

Jana, I was on the line "let's just say that our fire alarm works" when I found out that our fire alarm works too due to my roommate's cooking. I thought it was entertaining. Oh, and lest you stay stuck on having no readers, Google Reader tells me you have 6 subscribers.

Rachel B said...

Ha ha! I didn't see your text messages until I was almost home so I thought I would just see it and you in person. And, this was VERY well written. I loved it. So for that, the experience was worth it.

Amy Catherine said...

Perhaps that entertaining blog was worth the smell!

Anthony D said...

Hey Jana, just so you don't think you're blog writing is in vain it's on my friend blogs list, so make that 7 readers!

A few years ago one of my roommates (who happens to also be my older brother) was boiling a pot of some beans or something on the stove...and we left for church. He remembered later...near the end of church! Well that smoke smell was around a heck of a lot longer than a few days, try a month or two!

. said...

Jana, perhaps a comparison of your homemaking skills to my general automotive skills would help. the following is most of a conversation i had today when i stopped to help a lady searching for answers beneath her hood.

her: "i think the battery is dead. it won't turn over."

me: "oh i can help you with that, it'll just be a minute."

(after getting out of the car, some small talk, and applying the cables to my battery)

me: "let's see here...so your battery is right there."

her: "i think the red one goes on this end. yep, it's positive."

me: "o-kay. (red clamp applied) so the black one must go on here."

her: "watch out for sparks. if they're set up wrong sparks will fly up at you."

me: "yeah, i've seen that before. i think we're gonna be fine though."

(as i touch the black clamp to the knob, i'm startled by sparks hissing out at me.)

her: "yeah it must be set up wrong."

me: "well, this is the negative one, right? let me give it another try. (more sparks) hmmm."

her: (with a desperation to take the lead in her voice that i am just now picking up on) "why don't you set that end down and we can check your battery."

me: (with a similar desperation to not be the approaching thirty year-old man that has no clue how to jump start a car) "good idea." (clumsily setting the black clamp down next to the battery, yet more sparks fly as apparently it cannot be touching any metal...)

her: (taking off the clamps from my battery and inspecting it) "yep, these two were turned around."

me: "are you sure? i mean look, that knob has more red on it than that one. isn't it 'red on red?'"

her: "i think that's just anti-corrosion spray."

me: "anti-corrosion?"

her: (applying the clamps correnctly) "there we go."

me: (admitting defeat) "do i need to turn my car off?"

her: (applying the last clamp) "i don't think that's necessary. okay, let's give it a shot."

(her car starts right up and after a few minutes i drive away humbled)

so i guess we all have our embarrassing moments. though today's episode isn't half as bad as my "this is guacamole!? whoa, i could've sworn it was avacado dip." comment in front of my entire byu ward a few years ago.

Andrew T. said...

Just so you know, I like the refreshing lack of exclamation points and "cute" acronyms.
Thanks for making me smile.