Friday, May 30, 2008

uncultured philistine

we went to see iron man this week with my brothers and sister-in-law (pretty good show, i'd say. funny). the theatre is usually a pretty loud place, but before the showing i stepped into the girl's room and to my delight there was one of my absolute favorite pieces of music playing: Mozart's piano concerto no. 23 in A. as i thought how incredibly lovely the music was, two girls walked in and one scoffed to the other, "elevator music? ugh." hmmm. i thought. now that's what i call ironic.

but, i cannot justify pointing any fingers at people's lack of culture. for you see, only earlier that day at the Phoenix art museum, i had slighted a painting that i thought dull and uninteresting and even said to myself, "well, i haven't got all day and i want to make sure i spend time on things i really like," only to see my brother take a cell phone picture of that very painting and say, "cool! a picasso!"

2 comments:

Rachel B said...

Ha! That's hilarious. It amazes me how my students don't appreciate good things either. Most of them have never heard of Erkle and don't know about Jesse Spano's caffeine pill break down. Wait, do you even know about that one? If not, I have a story for you.

Chism said...

Great Post! I like it, except for the reminder that I am getting old because I am starting to enjoy the finer things in life.