Friday, December 28, 2007

npr nerd

So the other day in my final in my C.S. Lewis class, the teacher mentioned that he had been on the radio before with some Something Vaus guy who had written stuff obviously applicable to have his name appear on a C.S. Lewis term paper's works cited page. My teacher said that he was on it with "Doug Fabreeza" or something and though I think I was talking to someone else during this little anecdote, I was suddenly engaged in the discussion.

"Doug Fabrizio?" I said. "Radio West?"

"Yeah! That's it - Fabrizio!" and my teacher continued a little more and fizzled out after a few more sentences on it and asked for the next presenter to read her abstract.

Wow, am I a nerd or what. So, I listen to NPR. I listen to it when I'm driving mostly and I attempt to pick up the fragments of whatever is on - Morning Edition, Diane Rehm Show, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and the getaway radio paradise during my summer job of four years ago - Radio West - during my lunch breaks at 11. If you tune in on Saturdays around 10 you might be lucky enough to hear Car Talk which is always worth it. My dad can't stand Doug, but I've kind of warmed up to the guy. I love the funny ways he tries to depart so much from Utah tradition and be a little 'edgy.' It makes me smile. I called my friend Steph and told her my nerd-moment. Steph appreciated it and also wondered, I'm sure, how no one else in my class had known that. Steph herself is an avid Diane fan and just you wait America - Steph's gonna be the next intern at Morning Edition. And I'll be listening. What can I say? I run with high rollers.

1 comment:

Tim Hale said...

Jana - I love NPR! This post made me so happy. Doug Febrezio is fantastic. Dianne Rehm is a bit too liberal for my taste, but I do appreciate her as an excellent host and great discussion leader. Car talk, if I can tune in, is aweseome.
That being said I do prefer KCPW (88.3fm) rather than KUER (90.1fm). Tom Ashbrooke is amazing and I like the business news that 88.3 offers.
Thanks for the post!