Sunday, December 30, 2007

all the king's men

I looked up and saw that however far I felt I had traveled, I was only on page 3.

This was just the kind of reading my brother loves - and the kind of poetry he puts out. Thick and swift. Words that work and row and sing and dance together in rich, heavy gowns of purple syllables. You lick your lips and purse them together for the sweetness and the density of the way the words feel on your eyes and reading them makes you sort of quiver at how they shake out into pretty patterns. I felt like I was digging in deep clay soil, wet and oily and intoxicating, with bare hands. I got to page 3 and felt I had downed a pint's worth of literary sweetened condensed milk, but I had to keep reading - I had to, or I might not come back before my Sunday sleep overtook me. Reading through the cornfields and upholstery and the chestnut and crimson landscapes and creamy faces I made it to page 6 where the momentum of the molasses bath of words I had plummeted into began to whisk me along a sweet and bold narrative.

Dad had decided to get this book for me this year. It is part of a tradition we have. We call them 'Dad Gifts' and they are usually something kind of practical, yet still sentimental. A hat, a book, some music. He gives them out at the breakfast table on Christmas Day. After consulting my very well-read brother about blockbuster books, Dad selected All The King's Men. I started reading a bit of it and had to really peer my eyes into the first sentences. Though I am an English major, it had been a while since I'd read a sentence 12 lines long and pieced together with 8 commas and should have included probably 8 more comas to prevent so much run-on. "Run-on?!" my brother would exclaim, notably offended. I know, I know. I need to read more American lit.

2 comments:

Am said...

exactly. run-on, shmun-on. it's not about correct punctuation (whatever that means), it's about communicating something that cannot be communicated except through written words. i've seen two film adaptations of that book and neither satisfied. reading that book was like diving into warm water. highly recommended. other recommendations are 100 years of solitude (my introduction to magical realism) and most novels by Cormac McCarthy.

Liz said...

Jana, kudos to you for making it 6 pages! Keep us posted how it goes. I always say I want to read great books, but then I always fail... so I'm proud of you (who is undoubtedly on your millioneth great work!) p.s. any reads you recommend that might be for the more novice readers, such as myself? and p.p.s. happy birthday TOMORROW!